Books allow us to travel to different places and experience strange and unusual things all the while sitting in our living rooms and arm chairs. Below you will find 13 writers and my favourite quotes by them.
All these quotes and writers have been featured in my book A Literary Bestiary.
1. “Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.”
Edgar Allan Poe, Quote from The Raven:
2. "Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. The simplest explanation is always the most likely."
Agatha Christie, Quote from The Mysterious Affair At Styles:
3. “All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players”
William Shakespeare, Quote from As You Like It
4. “I beheld the wretch—the miserable monster whom I had created.”
Mary Shelly, Quote from Frankenstein
5. “She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.”
Louisa May Alcott, Quote from Work: A Story of Experience
6. “Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance.”
Jane Austen, Quote from Pride and Prejudice
7. “He who climbs a cliff may die on the cliff, so what? Always a risk-taker by nature, now I became one by intent.”
Ruth Park, Quote from A Fence Around the Cuckoo
8. “You may shoot me with your words, you may cut me with your eyes, you may kill me with your hatefulness, but still, like air, I'll rise!”
Maya Angelou, Quote from And Still I Rise
9. “That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong.”
F Scott Fitzgerald, Letters
10. “To be born in a duck's nest, in a farmyard, is of no consequence to a bird, if it is hatched from a swan's egg.”
Hans Christian Anderson, Quote from The Ugly Duckling
11. “Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it.”
J.M. Barrie, Quote from Peter Pan
12. “Michael knew now what was happening to him. He knew he was going to be naughty.”
P.L. Travers, Quote from Mary Poppins
13. “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”
George Orwell, Quote from Animal Farm
Comments will be approved before showing up.